Here’s the scenario:
You’ve got a new concept for your business. Then you find a space to rent and have you conceptual plans drafted and you’re now ready to go. Congratulations!!!
Oh wait. You need a liquor license to start ordering your alcohol from suppliers. OH WAIT! The liquor license application is being protested. OHHHHH WAAIIIIITTTTTT!!!! The Conditional Use Permit is being protested. OH THATS IT!!!!! A Variance is now needed because I’m in the wrong zone. I GIVE UP!!!!
That is a possible scenario to an unsuspecting prospective business operator… maybe not to that extent but definitely conceivable. That’s why its good to know what are the possible issues before applying for a liquor license. In a nutshell, that means DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
Here’s the good news. Just like when you were in high school and didn’t really want to read Charles Dickens’ “Great Expectations” in its entirety, you grabbed the Cliff Notes version to rummage through the key points. Well friends, we’ve got the get-to-the-point version for you.
And here’s the TOP FIVE REASONS WHY ITS DIFFICULT TO GET A LIQUOR LICENSE:
5. Parking – Welcome to CA. Parking is often determined by the size of the business. Have plenty of them or you’re in a world of hurt (financially and possibly physically).
4. Process & Procedure – You’ve got write out your business plan, menu, justifiable claims to why you should be allowed to sell alcohol/liquor. Then you got to have an Environmental Review, draft plans, write more narratives, speak to a planner, then to an ABC licensing representative and a LOT of phone tag in between.
3. Meetings & Hearings – After you’ve written down almost your entire life story, now you’ve got to present your business to neighborhood council groups, city council members, zoning administrators, planning commissions and everyone in between. Not fun if you’re not fond of public speaking.
2. Protests – Everyone can’t always be pleased so expect protests from residents and neighbors. This can be jarring especially if you’re near the finish line.
1. Patience – You’ve got bills racking up for expenses for the business yet you can’t operate without a liquor license. Plan ahead and accordingly.
That’s right! We are breaking in the new year of 2012 with the launch of our website. How is this significant you might ask??? Put it this way, we’ll be able to help you out better than in the past without you even having to pick up the phone or send an email.
The design is straightforward. No gimmicks, which reflects the way we run our business. With the new website (aralicenses.com), we’ll give you plenty of information about all things liquor license related. “What’s a CUP?” Well, it’s not something you use to drink liquid from… It’s a Conditional Use Permit, that is more often than not required to operate your business with a liquor licenses. You see! You’ll find out plenty of tidbits about the world of liquor licenses without even having to contact us… BUT, please do! We like hearing voices from actual people! Just don’t be an automated telemarketing machine (we like to talking to people that want to hold a conversation).
To keep this short and sweet, the website will be your haven for all things liquor license. Buy one, sell one or just brag about one. It’s your call. Happy 2012!
Yes folks. You can welcome us, Art Rodriguez & Associates, into the world of, well, the internet!!!
After operating successfully over the years, we’re in the process of getting our website up and running. It’s gonna be well worth the wait as not only will we offer our services online, everything we post will be meant to inform you about our services, updates about all things liquor-related, city/county/state-related and you-the-client-or-entrepeneur-related.
Whether its fee increases by municipalities or the state — which truly sucks if you ask us or anyone else for that matter — we want to let you know. Want to win the lottery?! Of course we can help. Oops, we forgot to mention that its not the big money jackpot lottery we can help you with, more so along the lines of the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) liquor license lottery, that is. We wouldn’t be working if we are able to help ourselves win the big money lottery…
Nevertheless, this was created for you, the viewer, to stay informed and to be able to ask us questions about how we can help us help you. Stay tuned for updates about our website and other new, wonderful online avenues.